Sunday, December 22, 2013

Immigration Consultants

Back in October I wrote about Mexi-Can, the company that 'imports' Mexican workers to come work in Canada. Even though I have an in with some people at the top they have not been able to do anything for me by means of finding work. I have been able to find other companies that recruit foreign workers for business, though. As I searched for international recruiters I also found a few immigration consultant agencies that supposedly help people get LMOs. I explained what this is in my very first post and I have explained it to so many people since moving here that I never want to talk about it again.
Well, one day I was contacted by an East Indian guy who called himself an immigration consultant who asked for some information about my situation, and HE told me that I didn't need an LMO. He said since I had been approved for sponsorship I should be able to get a work permit. I couldn't believe it, mainly because everything on the CIC (Canada Immigration and Citizenship) website says that you can't when you apply from outside the country. So I was suspicious, of course, especially when he told me he could get me work permit in a month if I pay him $1000 to file my paperwork (it costs $150 to do it yourself). I tell him, "This is incredible. I was approved for sponsorship over three months ago. If we had known we could do this we would have applied for it three months ago. That's when he tells me, "Oh, you were applied three months ago? Don't worry about getting a work permit. Your permanent residency should be approved within the next three weeks."
First of all, I'm dumbfounded, especially since I thought I would be consigned to a long 15 month wait (as per the website's information). He told me that those times are the longest processing times, for like conjugal partners applying. As an American who has been married five years, it should be quick. Second of all, I really start to question this guy's credibility. He obviously knows nothing about immigrating to Canada. Except he really threw me of because he was no longer trying to sell me a $1000 service.
So I start calling around for other opinions of immigration consultants in Calgary. The first two wanted me to come in for a consultation session and pay them $100 or more for a session. Finally, I got another East Indian guy, and he answered my questions. He confirmed that in my position I was ineligible for a work permit. I pressed him for a time estimate for a married American and he told me six of seven months. This was a little longer than the other consultant's estimate, but still short enough to give us some hope that we should get it soon.
I'm not sure if an immigration consultant can really help you decrease your processing time. Mainly I think that they just make sure that you have all your documents so you don't end up getting your paperwork sent back. I'm lucky to have a detail-oriented wife who would actually be a great immigration consultant. Now it's just a matter of waiting. I don't think we'll have to wait as long as I used to think, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment