Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I finally got a job...sort of

I suppose I should mention that I finally found a way to work. I applied for many online tutoring jobs based in the US last month, but none of them got back to me. I did, however, get a response from an English tutoring business based in Taiwan. The entails me sitting at the computer with a webcam, leading groups of 1-6 clients from Taiwan and China in discussions provided by my employer, TutorABC. I'm able to do this job because the company functions out of Taiwan, so I pay Tawianese taxes and the whatnot and they deposit my check into my paypal account. It sounds pretty sketchy, but I figure if they were actually a shady business they'd promise to pay me more than $8.50 a session + performance bonus.
So for this menial salary (which, on average ends up being $10/hr) I get up at 4:30 AM to tutor people across the Pacific Ocean before they go to bed, and sometimes get a session in the afternoon, when they wake up. I don't get great hours, and I don't get many hours, but it's better than nothing. And I don't have to wear pants to work, which is cool.
This is where I am now, but better things are on the horizon, I think. More on that, later.

2 comments:

  1. The no pants thing - it's worth it.

    As I write this, I am at work. And not wearing any pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how the McNaughtons feel about 'no pants'. You fit right in!!

    ReplyDelete