Sunday, December 1, 2013

American Thanksgiving in Canada



I love Thanksgiving. If for no other reason, for the pumpkin pie. It's my favourite. We were going to do a big American Thanksgiving feast, but as it approached, I just wasn't feeling it. I was craving some pie, though, so I made a couple on Thanksgiving to eat as I watched football on the couch all day. And that's when it hit me, if I'm not going to be with my whole family on Thanksgiving, the holiday is really just about football and pie. I don't need no stinkin' turkey. (Okay, who doesn't love leftover turkey. Next year for sure)

Quick note: Watching the two classic games (the Lions' and Cowboys' games) I realized Thanksgiving separates football fans into three groups of gratitude. 1) Lions fans: At least we have one of the most talented players to ever touch the planet (Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson) 2) Cowboys fans: At least we aren't Lions fans 3) Everyone else: A least we aren't fans of THOSE teams.

That being said, I did miss being with my family. First of all, because I love them. Second of all, I had no one to tell that great thought about gratitude of football fans. Courtney was out that night, so I had leftover pasta for dinner with the girls. Here's the spread for our three year old. In addition to pasta she wanted a pomegranate, orange melon, and tortilla chips. What more could one possibly ask for at Thanksgiving time?

The next day, of course, was Black Friday. Canadian retailers, for the first time ever, celebrated with huge sales like the stores in the States. The main flaw: everyone's working still. Some people did go out at 7:00 and got some good deals (Courtney went with a friend and saw a guy at Target try to sell a $100 32' TV. There was a whole display full of them. Untouched). The sales extended through the weekend, though. We went in the afternoon to Toys R Us, where it was busy, but not anything close to a Black Friday Toys R Us. It was nice to almost finish shopping for the girls in one stop. So it was different Of course Boxing Day comes up at the end of the month, and that's a different story. But we'll get there when we get there.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like that's a pretty good summation: pie + football.
    Daniel and I knew we weren't likely to find pie or turkey, so we had to decide between Hard Rock Cafe and a Pizza place. In the end, the pizza place was closer, but we made sure that we ate until we almost popped, keeping that tradition alive at least.

    ReplyDelete