Saturday, November 2, 2013

Ice Dancing with the Stars

I have never seen Dancing with the Stars. Not my thing. One problem is the name. It seems a little bland to me. You know what sounds more awesome?
Yeee-yah. Pairing random celebrities with dancers. Meh. Pairing hockey players with ice dancers and pairs skaters. Sweet.  My Freshman year of college I saw the movie 'The Cutting Edge', which is the best figure skating movie I've ever seen (and the only one). It's about a hockey player and a figure skater who get fail in the '88 Olympics and train for the next one together. Starring Moira Kelly. Win. So Battle of the Blades was a no-brainer when we stumbled upon it. Judged by Kurt Browning, Jaime Sale (Canada's sweetheart ice dancer, robbed of a gold medal by the cheating French in 2002) and ex-NHLer P.J. Stock, and previous competitors including Theo Fleury, Val Bure and Claude Lemieux. I laughed so hard the first routine I saw. Because generally, when I think of male figure skaters, I think of this:
But on the show, I saw this:
http://www.cbc.ca/battle/skaters/amanda-scott

Big difference. Courtney said it's the most the Canadian thing on TV because 1) it's a rip-off of an American show and 2) it's on ice. The only thing that could make it more Canadian is if they had a female hockey player on the show. After a quick trip to google, we found that they did, and she won last year (paired with Sale's partner David Peltier, of course).
Only five couples left. Can't wait to watch next week. The most Canadian thing on television.

1 comment: