Tuesday, November 5, 2013

California Winter

The day after Halloween we were on a walk down by the river around dusk. Courtney commented on how beautiful the scenery was. I looked out and said, "It reminds me of winter when I was a kid." The bare trees, the light chill (10 C), the dead grass. Courtney laughed and said, "Oh, Keith, this is fall."
So it was, because Saturday, this happened:

And four days later, it's still here. This morning I left the house and it was -13 C (8 F).
This is what winter will look like. This is what winter will feel like. And it starts now.
It's not like I don't know what winter is like. I lived in Utah for the past six years. In Provo I learned that it snows and in Roosevelt I learned what -30 is like. But even in Roosevelt it's 10 C warmer than it is here now, and will be for the rest of the month. We're sub zero and we're in for the long haul up here in the great white north.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing Lucy is crazy CRAZY about snow. We just have to teach her the rules of eating snow. Aside from the obvious ban on yellow snow, she needs to learn not to eat side walk salt, even though it looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete