Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Canadian Corruption?

They actually never smile. Never. (thestar.com)
There is actually plenty of corruption in Canada, the brunt of it occurring in Quebec (see here, here, here, here, and here). I'll write more on Quebec later, it's an entirely different place than Alberta, but while the government stays out of corruption, I've seen quite a bit of shifty business during my job search. I am still unemployed due to my inability to find a business with an open LMO. It has been six weeks since I had someone apply for me to work for his concrete business and there has been no word back from him. It will likely take another six weeks for the paperwork to finish, which will be no good seeing that he'll be done working for the season. I have received some offers, however, to work without an LMO for cash. Upon entering the country I was given a visitor's permit which clearly states that I am not authorized to work in Canada. The officer I spoke to told me to not do anything for money, because I was not authorized to do so and would risk being deported and jeopardize my pending permanent residency. So when I am told by these employers that they'll hire me and write a check to my wife for the amount, I simply decline their offer. There are many who are working illegally in this province, and they successfully evade detection and deportation, and I think it has a lot to do with the labour shortage here. While I could probably get away with it, I won't be putting my status in the country on the line anytime soon. This is not a blog about moral fortitude, so I'll refrain from an honesty speech, but it is a blog about my completely legal move to a foreign country and my adventures trying to fit in.
I did make contact with a recruiting agency that finds workers in Mexico for Calgary businesses with LMOs--Mexi-Can. It has been a week and a half, however, and they have no results, but it seemed like a good prospect at the time, and still could pull something out of their hat for me. When they do I will still have to wait a month to be approved by the government to be on their LMO. Needless to say, it's a lengthy process--moreso than we previously thought it'd be. But our house sold, so there's no turning back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment